Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Cradle - Allahabad

Today 7th Oct - the day when I was born into this world in midst of annual festivities that every Bengali house celebrates every year. My parents had lost their 12 year old daughter just a year and half back after fighting a long 5 years battle with leukemia - to hold me in their hands was a moment of joy and sadness. Allahabad, the Sangam city - my birthplace - in my childhood days known for its broad avenues, picturesque British era bungalows, Gothic style churches, the overly congested Chowk area - and of course the colossal Allahabad fort at the banks of Sangam. Allahabad - "Abode of Allah", the name given by the illustrious Mogul Emperor Akbar, is situated at the confluence of Ganges, Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, is an important pilgrimage for devout Hindus. Also known as Prayag, it is the host to one of world's largest ablution event of the world - the Kumbh Mela, held once in 12 years. The reference point for Indian Standard time, Allahabad also boasts to have one of oldest High Court and the fourth oldest University in Republic of India. Great writers and poets of Hindi literature have lived here and have been inspired by this city. It is the home to India's first political family, given 7 out of 17 Prime Ministers to the country. Today - this city is becoming a forgotten city with a glorious past. Colonial Allahabad, along with the intellectual energy that the city once generated, has quite disappeared. The bungalows have been going, all my acquaintances from my parents generation have moved out, my friends with whom I spent some wonderful days have migrated to different cities for greener pastures - 8A Hastings Road my birthplace, was a typical bungalow from the colonial era - today it still stands dilapidated waiting to be grazed to the ground soon to be replaced by apartments of the modern society - As I walk down memory lanes - I have just lost time to recall - nothing more than that. Dad re-located to Jaipur 2 years after my birth, but we returned to the city when I was in Grade IXth. I lived in this city till I graduated from the university. I still keep going back to this city probably once a year, a city which I still call "my home". I have a strange feeling of nostalgia whenever I visit Allahabad. The Ganges attracts me, it gives a lot of calm and repose when I stand at its banks. Though I do not believe in taking a dip to wash my sins as commonly believed by a devout Hindu - but standing at the confluence, gives me a feeling of tranquility, it works as a sedate for me. The last time I visited the city was in Oct 2006 - it is almost 3 years now - every time I am in the city - I go for a stroll down my favourite road - Thornhill Road, a road which always unleashes memories both sweet & bitter for me - brings back so many events, fun filled long summer days, dull winter evenings - plucking delicious guavas from roadside & of course some very special people - not to miss out that this was the road when I was first proposed on a Valentine's day - the teenage infatuation which had evaporated as fast as it had grown - I am also reminded of that unfortunate afternoon when we were returning home from school - one of my classmates was crushed to death (it was one of the saddest days of my life) - this is the road where I advanced from a bicycle to a scooter to a car - this road always serves as an instant reminder of those days which will never return but will always bring a smile on my face. It is many years since I have left the city - the city has degenerated considerably over the years, it has lost touch with its rich past of glory. As I walk down the roads - poverty around me leaves me sad. India is a poor country, but after staying in rich states of Maharastra and Karnataka, we get a delusion that India is growing. The impact of globalization is perhaps positive..but it is a conclusion that many Indians make without going thru facts - when I see people in Allahabad, I feel miserable. A reasonably good pay package that I earn - stands meaningless when I see a homeless man enduring the variation of weather that mother nature offers in my hometown - a high of 48 degrees to a low of freezing temperature. I wish I could do something - someday for my city where I was born, which I still call my home - i am not sure whether I would really be able to do something - but I wish I could..in memory of those beautiful days that this city offered when i was becoming a woman from a teenage girl.

6 comments:

Megha said...

Wonderfully penned!

GrazingCow said...

Thanks

Allahabadi said...

Great to read your blog - the feeling of nostalgia for Allahabad is beautifully brought out in your writing. But must say, found the bit about poverty slightly pre-conceived. I reside in Allahabad and over the past year or so, the spending power of its citizens seems to have gone up several notches. Government service provides majority of employment in this city and the latest pay commission report has landed many with a windfall. Even in cities like Delhi and Mumbai, (unfortunately) you can see people living in abject poverty.
Anil.

GrazingCow said...

Thanks for reading the blog.
About your comment - spending power I believe is no indication about how progressive or developed a place is. A city to grow needs to grow intellectually, socially and economically in all fronts and we need to accept that the good % of educated population (i donot mean everyone) is looking for greener pastures.
In addition all of us know the credibility of Govt jobs in India - we also know the entire Naini belt is closed down because of our own politics.
Anyways we always have hope on which we can atleast dream to build towers

Allahabadi said...

Hi! Thanks a lot for responding to my comments. I absolutely agree with you when you say that "spending power I believe is no indication about how progressive or developed a place is". In fact, nothing in my comments implied this. In fact, my comments were specifically in reference to your comments on poverty in Allahabad - "As I walk down the roads - poverty around me leaves me sad........when I see people in Allahabad, I feel miserable."

earth said...

beautifully written.. straight from the heart. and very insightful.

would love to visit the city some day with u.. i know it means the world to u!